Tips to Staying Fit While on Vacation This Summer
- If you’re flying, bring snacks with you in your carry on so you are not tempted with the sugar coated foods at airport.
- Watch out for jetlag as it will make you hungry at abnormal times. Resist the urge to snack at 4 a.m. and wait for your usual meal times instead.
- We know you’re on vacation, so you’ll want to indulge in some treats & that’s fine! That’s what vacation is all about! On days you’ll be indulging more than usual, try to keep other meals and snacks on the healthy side.
- Avoid buffets as much as possible.
- Eat from local markets. Local food is better for the environment; you get to pick what you’re eating and you’ll even squeeze in some movement as you walk around the market.
- When you plan to be out all day, bring along your own healthy snacks like trail mix, granola bars, or even PB&J sandwiches to stave off hunger. It’ll save you money & keep you away from unhealthier options.
- Make your own meals if you’re staying somewhere with kitchen access. You’ll know exactly what’s in it & you’ll have more of an opportunity to eat a fully nutritious meal.
- Beware of drinks. A single cocktail can contain loads of sugar (and calories). If a stiff drink is necessary (and sometimes it is!), try healthier drinks instead.
- Take the stairs. Skip the elevator and sneak in some extra cardio. Lots of sightseeing attractions—churches and towers, for example—have stairs with architectural oddities, letting you kill two birds with one step.
- Embrace your surroundings. If you’re at the beach, try doing the usual yoga routine on the sand instead of indoors. A change in scenery might be the boost needed to get physical.
- Take a long walk through a local park.
- Use vacation as an excuse to try a new, fun activity. Whether it’s rock climbing, sailing, or trapeze swinging, challenge yourself to try something different while you’re away.
- Do as the locals do! Take advantage of what an area’s known for—or even plan a vacation around it! Unroll a yoga mat in India, climb boulders in Colorado, learn tai chi moves in China, or woo potential suitors with flamenco moves in Spain. It’s a great way to learn about a different culture while getting fit.
- Make exercise your vacation. A surefire way to guarantee you keep moving while traveling is by planning a getaway around a fitness event or competition. Force yourself to vacation by registering for a race in a different city or try a weekend fitness retreat.
- Check out amenities first. Make it easy to squeeze in workout time by booking a hotel with a gym or pool. Swimming burns a lot more calories then you think! Make a splash!
- Check out the neighborhood. Book accommodation near places where you can sweat. If you need to run laps before starting your day, stay somewhere where it will be safe to go for a run. If you need to hear namaste, stay near a yoga studio.
- Bust a move in your hotel room to keep fit using body weights or simple workouts. Something is always better than nothing!
Join our Mailing LIst
Get news, updates, deals, and learn more about fitness through our blog.